Sunday, May 4, 2008

Modern Love: The College Essay Contest

A few months ago, my mother sent me an article from the NYTimes advertising a college essay contest they were holding, asking for "the plain truth" about what love is like for our generation. While I didn't end up writing or submitting my own essay, I did pause to consider my own opinions considering the subject and came up surprisingly short.

There are things about which, at some point in time, you feel you understand completely--that you are an expert and the only one to have had such miraculous revelations. As time passes and experience wears on your optimistic naivete, you come to understand just how little you know about the subject.

If nothing else, I am fortunate enough to have known it once--maybe, one day, I'll know it again. In the meantime, here's what the winning author had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment